Neurocritical care has developed as a specialty in our country over the last few decades. The Society of Neurocritical Care was formed in 2018 with the main aim of associating and affiliating all the physicians who are/were practicing / interested in neurocritical care, into one organization. It was registered as a society (Registration No. S/RS/DW(SW)/314/2018) with the Registrar of Society, Delhi dated 12th March 2018. One of the primary principles of the society is to promote the growth and development of the specialty, in order to ensure safe medical practices and good patient outcome.
The College of Neurocritical Care (CNCC) has been established within the governance of the SNCC. This College is organized as an autonomous body for its internal affairs, but shall in no way act in a manner prejudicial to the parent association or contrary to the association’s (SNCC) bye-laws, which shall take precedence over this document.
Aims and Objectives
- To implement and carry out the educational activities of SNCC.
- To conduct certified courses in neurocritical care such as the Fellowship in Neurocritical Care (FNCC).
- To conduct examinations for the FNCC.
- To encourage and promote research in neurocritical care.
- To establish guidelines and protocols for procedures and management criteria of patients undergoing neurocritical care, aimed at upgrading knowledge and skills ofmembers of SNCC.
- To seek affiliation with national and international associations and societies or similar bodies to achieve the objectives of the parent association.
- To guide the SNCC from time to time in academic activities and develop new programs.
- To promote SNCC’s professional certifications and examinations within the country and to gain national and international accreditation for the same from statutory bodies like MCI, DNB, IGNOU and others.
CNCC will not have any independent income of any form. All financial supports are from the SNCC, and the college shall be responsible for the distribution of funds. The detailed report of the expenditure will be submitted to SNCC annually, and the parent body (SNCC)will audit the accounts. CNCC may have a separate bank account to which SNCC will transfer the yearly expenses required. Therefore, no profit thereof shall be paid or transferred directly or indirectly by way of dividend, bonus, profits or in any manner whatsoever, to the present or future members of the college. No members will have any claim to movable or immovable property of the college or make any profit by virtue of this membership.
- Membership of CNCC will be restricted to those who passed the fellowship examinations of SNCC (FNCC), the honorary fellows (conferred honorary fellowship by the SNCC), or any other member appointed by the Executive Committee of the SNCC.
- Members of SNCC can apply for ‘Honorary Fellowship’ of CNCC (FSNCC Hon). This will be reviewed by the College Board and an honorary Fellowship can be awarded, provided the applicant fulfils the criteria for honorary fellowship.
Structure and Administration
The affairs and business of the College shall be managed by the College Board. Its structure is given below.
Board Members (4)
The College Board of CNCC comprises of the above-mentioned members, with the President of SNCC officiating in the position of the Chancellor of CNCC. The Secretary, Treasurer and Past President (Past Chancellor) of SNCC are ex-officio to the board. The College Board should meet at least twice every year. The roles, responsibilities and the tenure of the members of the College Board are given below. The members of the College Board are nominated by the Executive Committee of SNCC.
Roles and Responsibilities of Various Members of CNCC:
- The Chancellor would be the President of SNCC.
- The Chancellor shall chair all the College Board meetings. In the event that the Chancellor is unable to attend a Board meeting, he/she shall designate the Vice Chancellor to chair the meeting.
- Shall award the fellowship certificates and awards of the FNCC to the successful candidates during the national conference of ISCCM/ SNCC.
- Shall affix his signature in the fellowship certificates (FNCC).
- Essential role of advisor to overall activities of CNCC.
- Oversees academic planning, academic programs and reviews curriculum development of fellowship courses especially the FNCC.
- Maintains liaison with external universities and other organizations within the country or outside.
- Supervises and advises regarding the financial expenditure of the college.
- Overall supervision of the examination, research activities of the college and advises the board regarding modifications or changes required.
- The Chancellor shall be the disciplinarian for all the members of the College Board.
- The tenure of the Chancellor is for a period of two years. This is a single time post.
- The Vice Chancellor is a senior respected member of SNCC who has spent several years in Neurocritical Care with a significant role in the association’s academic activities.
- Vice –chancellor will be the executive and academic head of the college for its activities. He would step into the role of the Chancellor in case the Chancellor is not available.
- Contributes to academic planning, examination patterns and curriculum development of fellowship courses.
- Act as a link between the Chancellor and Secretary.
- Acts as an arbitrator when there is dispute or difference of opinion among members of the College Board.
- The tenure of the Vice Chancellor is for a period of two years. This is a single time post.
- The Secretary is a senior respected member of SNCC who has spent several years in Neurocritical Care with a significant role in the association’s academic activities.
- Supervises the research activities of the College.
- Supervises the refresher courses, mock examinations and other periodic evaluations of fellowship students.
- Reviews the guidelines and functions of College periodically and suggests modifications.
- He/She handles and maintains all official documents of the College.
- He/ She shall receive the projected budget amount from SNCC at the beginning of every financial year. Shall maintain receipts and payments details of the CNCC and present it in the Executive Committee meetings of SNCC. Secretary will also submit yearly financial statement to the Treasurer SNCC for auditing.
- He/She will maintain the guidelines / functions / duties of the college.
- He/She shall also uphold the bye-laws of the CNCC and ensure the correct tenure of every member of the College Board.
- He/She will arrange the College Board meeting in close liaison with the Chancellor,Vice Chancellor and Members.
- He/She will be maintaining the minutes of the College Board meetings.
- He/She will be keeping the members of the College Board well informed with its activities.
- He/She is the representative of the College to the Executive Committee of SNCC.
- He/She is the representative of the College to external bodies including universities, both within and outside the country.
- He/She shall receive complaints and suggestions regarding improvement in academic or any other activity related to the College and take the final decision, after consultation with the Chancellor and Vice Chancellor.
- He/She shall consult the Chancellor and Vice Chancellor in taking major decisions.
- He/She shall be responsible for all academic records of current and former students.
- He/She shall finalize the results of FNCC.
- Shall officially inform the candidates of their results and academic standards.
- Shall prepare the fellowship certificates and affix his/her signature.
- Shall be responsible for publishing the results of FNCC on the SNCC website/Newsletter.
- Shall organize the presentation of the certificates (convocation) to the successful candidates and award ceremony during the national conference of the ISCCM/ SNCC.
- Shall be responsible for honorary FSNCC selection process.
- He/She shall prepare an annual college calendar.
- The tenure of the Secretary is for a period of two years.
- Implementation of the teaching program for various skills required in neurointensive care.
- Helping in the development and coordination of the College curriculum.
- Contribute to the expansion of academic programs when required.
- Help in the management of the non-faculty members of the College.
- Help set up policies and procedure for the students.
- Encourage more research / training / publications from registered fellowship students and support them academically.
- Generate student data files based on their performance during the course.
- The tenure of the academic council members is for two years but members with
significant contribution may be re-elected more than once.